We are looking for a motivated team member to work on Phytoform crop development pipeline as a Research Technician.
Phytoform is a US-UK company working on improving crop varieties with the help of new breeding technologies and artificial intelligence. We are a multidisciplinary team looking to enhance crop species to be in pair with a sustainable future. We are at a pivotal time in the agri-tech industry where the projects developed today in this sector will define the world of tomorrow. The company is currently in the seeding stage with exciting growth plans over the next few years and is looking for a dedicated Research Technician to join our technical support team.
If you are looking for a fast-paced environment, new challenges and like working with a multidisciplinary team, then this job is for you. You will be responsible for maintenance of non-sterile and sterile plant material in a range of growth environments, media & laboratory consumables preparation for the wet-lab and on occasion perform molecular work. If you have previously been part of an academic or industry team, but now would like to work in a start-up environment then you would be a great fit.
In this role you will:
- Assist in various areas of laboratory maintenance, cleaning and tidying of lab areas, calibration of equipment, waste management and ensure a smooth running of the laboratory
- Prepare various types of bacterial and plant growth media for laboratory use
- Assist in keeping labs stocked with laboratory consumables, including sterilised plastic-ware and glass-ware
- Assist in maintenance of greenhouses and controlled environment (CE) spaces, including calibration, cleaning, and turning over compartments, monitoring and recording plant growth
- Assist in growing horticultural and field crops, including genetically modified and genome edited plant material
- Maintain sterile tissue culture of of a number of crop species (e.g. tomato, potato)
- Assist in DNA and RNA extraction from plant material as well as bacterial DNA plasmid preps and perform sample quality control
- BSc Plant Sciences, Biology or a related subject.
- Experience in sterile working practices, preparing and maintaining media stocks.
- Experience of working with plants in both a laboratory environment and glasshouse.
- Practical experience of laboratory technician/biological scientific research work.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrable numeracy skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, precision and accuracy, documentation skills and accurate record keeping.
- Great organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise, organise and coordinate a range of tasks simultaneously.
- The ability to follow written protocols and instructions.
- A flexible and proactive approach to work, working under your own initiative, working out of hours if required.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- A team player with an enthusiasm for working in a busy and evolving environment.
You get extra points if you:
- Have experience of molecular techniques including cloning and plasmid preparation
- Can demonstrate a strong record of laboratory experience and using a Laboratory Management System. If you bring experience of self-directed, multidisciplinary laboratory work that would be great.
- Can demonstrate a record of using project management software.
- Have practical experience with plant tissue culture.
- Have experience growing plants in an industry R&D operation
- Share our passion for sustainability
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Share of value you create through Employee Stock Option Plan
- Private medical insurance
- Great working environment in a multidisciplinary team
- A flexible working arrangement: early or late working with core hours of 10am-4pm
- Access to a gym & tennis
- Cycle to work scheme